CommVault is a great product that allows you to perform backups at a primary location, and then send a deduplicated copy to a DR location for recovery. But what if you need to perform a test recovery at the DR location, how do you tell the restore which library to restore from?
Step 1: Identify the number of the copy
Your basic setup should include a Storage Policy with 2 copies, a primary and a (at least 1) secondary. The secondary is updated either on schedule or on demand.
To view the copy number
- Browse to Policies | Storage Policies
- Right-click your policy and select Properties
- On the Copy Precedence tab, note the Precedence number associated with the target Copy Name
Step 2: Browse for backup data
- Browse to Client Computers |
- Right-click the subclient and select Browse Backup Data
- Specify a time frame if needed
- Change Use MediaAgent to the MA in the DR location
- Click Advanced
- On the Advanced Browse Options, change the Copy Precedence to the precedence number previously identified
- Click OK, OK
Finish your restore as normal